Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ethics

So I’ve recently come across a situation where I’ve had to question what does it really mean to “help” people, and where does helping stop and enabling start. This month for homeless court I submitted 18 clients for court in April. One client in particular, we’ll call him Joe, took a lot of time to work on his case and make sure that he had a lot of information to show his progress. He probably stopped in twice a week to make sure his case was set. Because of his citation he needed a substance abuse verification to show the court that he has been in recovery and is taking his recovery seriously. He did bring in a verification to show his recovery and it seemed like he was on his way to improving his life.

After I submitted the files on Thursday, Joe came into ask me again how his case was doing. I wasn’t surprised by his diligence in coming and checking up on his file. I was surprised to find out that he was drunk though. I smelled liquor all over his breath, and all I could think of was “great I just sent this guy to court saying he’s recovered and he’s obviously not.” I really felt like I was being taken advantage of. Like the program I run is just a joke, a freebee to help people stay out of trouble a little longer. I don’t want to feel like that about a program that I take a lot of pride in. It’s a hard call for me to make whether to take him out of the program or just let him go through. In a sense I feel like I’m not doing him any good in the long run to just pretend like I didn’t see it. He won’t be anymore recovered. My reputation as a responsible person that gives The Alameda Homeless Court, acceptable clients that are on their way to bettering their lives, won’t be bettered by me sending him through. Yet still he is a friend of mine, and it would be a much easier process for the both of us if I just looked the other way. But it wouldn’t feel right.

This really calls into play my interactions with everyone here especially the people that walk through the doors of St. Vincent’s. When do I demand someone to take some responsibility for their actions? Even when I have the power to take the responsibility for them, and which is the easier route. It’s a hard call. I consider myself a loving person, and I don’t want to see anyone struggle or hurt, but I’ve realized that struggle and hurt are an inevitable part of life that everyone must deal with, and it’s a disservice to keep anyone from that. It stunts their growth, and mine. I feel as though I have been a little idealistic with the way I interact with the clients of St. Vincent de Paul. They are people just like everyone else and we all have our crap that we’ve got to face. It’s a common saying that God is in the poor, and I believe that, but God is telling me to let the poor work for their own salvation, and not try to save them myself. God will take their burden not me.

~Mike

2 comments:

TSRandT said...

Hi, Mike. I'm a Conf. president from one of the East Bay parishes.

I'm hoping to celebrate 19 years of sobriety this May. I could drink before then, despite all the work I've put in. I've seen it happen, sadly, many times over the years. There are no guarantees in the effort to get sober and stay sober.

My $0.02's worth on your predicament:

Your guy has a disease, I do believe that, and it's a uniquely spiritual malady. It's not his fault, and he has obviously suffered greatly in its grip.

You will not help him by letting him slide. You will not help your Court program, or yourself, by avoiding the unpleasantness of calling him on his behavior.

The best way I can put these situations to myself when they come up is, 'sometimes I have to say Yes to Jesus by saying No to a person.' I didn't join SVDP to say no to people, and I've had to learn the hard way how to do it. No magic formulas either.

Good luck.

Ryan said...

Yea that is one thing I learned also that sometimes "no" is the most healing thing you can say to someone. If you are able to keep healthy boundaries then it can teach someone what healthy boundaries are. I think your right too that there are no magic formulas every situation is different. Which makes making decisions sometimes difficult but it is also a beautiful reminder that every situation in life is always brand new. Thanks for you comment.