Friday, June 27, 2008

Rants and Raves

Over the course of the last few weeks I’ve begun to apply for jobs and I am beginning to understand what a challenge it is to find a job. Apparently it seems like most employers have the luxury of having a lot more applicants then openings. So there is a lot of competition and I am beginning to understand some of the difficulties that my clients go through looking for a job. I have a college degree, a years worth of experience at a job with a fair amount of responsibility, and I have my head pretty straight on my shoulders. I couldn’t imagine what the process would be like if I was coming off an addiction, hadn’t worked in a few years and didn’t go to college. I feel like there is something wrong when the supply and demand of the workforce is heavily stacked to the benefit of employers.

The reality is that the work force really has the power. If people stopped working the companies and structure of our economy would fall apart. But instead we have a system that has people working ever harder to stay on top of the next guy. The structures that keep that system in place squeeze ever harder on people, and the people I work with get squeezed the hardest. When I graduated college I expected and I was told that my degree would get me a job. Not so, and if my degree doesn’t carry much weight then a high school diploma means nothing.

For some people it is near impossible for them to get a job or be a productive member of society. People with felonies and limited education no matter how they try for the most part they are stuck. There are some places that are able to help. I’ve seen St. Vincent’s Culinary Program help people get training and eventually jobs, but even that help is limited. It’s limited to a very specific type of job and it takes a tremendous amount of work by a lot of people to make any progress. It’s like trying to redirect the flow of the Mississippi River.

I can see why it’s a lot easier for people to stay on a fixed income then venture out and try to get a job. The odds are stacked against people trying to find work and the odds are really stacked against the clients I work with. It’s sad and frustrating. We can say that “well this is America and the will to succeed breeds success.” But I have a feeling that that is just dream that is sold in school. The reality is the working world is cut throat and no one really cares if you make it or not. I guess that’s evolution, survival of the fittest. My feeling is that if our society keeps going the way it is going the majority of people in this county won’t be fit enough to survive. Something needs to change.

Thanks for listening to my rants and raves.
~Mike


Also this is way off topic but I just figured out how to look at the comments people write and I just wanted to say thanks for reading my blog and sharing your own experiences. I usually just post stuff up and forget about it, but I’ll have to pay more attention to what people write and make some responses. It’s really reaffirming to hear that people read what I write and that it effects people enough that they want to contribute also. Thank you for that.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike: Now you're getting your Real Word education, which is probably more important than the classroom one. And I give you high scores for what you're learning.

Now you're ready for Class Wars 101.

Ryan said...

Yea, it's funny I was never taught these things in high school or college. I guess being from a white upper middle class family can instill a bit of naiveity into you. I grew up just thinking that it's a fact that everyone is successful in life. When really thats not the case.